Monday, August 3, 2015

In Times of Trouble



Have you ever thought to yourself, 'Okay, I want to follow God, but right now is not the time. I have too much going on. I have all this stuff I have to deal with first. When life calms down a little, then I'll have time to read my Bible, pray, seek God, and listen for how He is leading me. But right now I just can't. Life is too crazy!'?

If you have ever thought this, or feel this way now, you are not alone. I've had these thoughts many times, and I am often tempted to feel this way when trials, relationship issues, discouragement, or scary situations come my way. But something I have learned is when life is most difficult, most crazy, or most unbearable: that's when I need God the most. Following God is all about finding our way from the darkness into the light, and helping others to find their way from despair to hope; but we can't help anyone else if we're not seeking and trusting God ourselves.

Jesus said, "I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart…So don't be troubled or afraid."

What is currently troubling you? What are you afraid of? What are you worried about? What is your biggest fear? Jesus says you don't have to be troubled or afraid. Do you believe Him?

Say these words to yourself, inserting your own name in the blank: I am leaving you with a gift, ____; I give you peace of mind and heart. So don't be troubled or afraid, ______.

I was facing something recently that troubled me a lot. I had a lot of worries and fears, but I gave them to God and trusted Him to carry me. Every day when I read my Bible, the words brought me comfort. When I prayed, I asked God to help me to trust Him. I listened for what He had to tell me. And I followed Him from a dark place of fear and anxiety to hope and trust.

I encourage you to do the same with whatever is troubling you. Read your Bible daily, pray, seek God, listen, and trust Him. He will give you what you need. Whether it's peace, joy, hope, or a solution to the problem.


In times of trouble, may the LORD answer your cry.  
Psalm 20:1 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment