Monday, February 13, 2017

Choices

We live in a society of choices, freedoms, and independence. We can choose what we want to do when we grow up, what hobbies and activities to try, what friends to have, whom to marry, whom to worship, what to do with our bodies, what music to listen to, what movies to see...

But just because we can make our own choices, doesn't mean one choice is just as good as another. The choices we make matter. We can make bad choices and good choices. We can make good choices or better choices. We can make thoughtless choices and well-informed ones.

In the Old Testament, we can read about a choice God's People made that wasn't good. God told them they didn't need a human king, that He would be their King; but the people insisted on having a leader they could see. So, God gave them a king named Saul, but it didn't turn out well for Israel. Saul and others after him were often corrupt. They didn't listen to God and lead the people well, resulting in the destruction of their nation rather than its prosperity. The people had a choice to make, God told them what the best choice was—to depend on Him to lead them; but they made a different choice. The wrong choice.

The Bible is full of stories like this. God created people and gave them free will to make their own choices. He also instructed them in which choices to make—what was best for them; The same is true for us today, and my question for you is this: With the choices you have to make today, tomorrow, and in the future, how are you going to make those choices?

Will you follow the advice of society, family, friends? Will you make choices based on how you feel? Will you go by what you can see and understand? Or will you listen to God and choose His best for your life?

Sometimes listening to God involves following the advice of others, how you feel, and what you can see and understand; but not always. How can you know? It's all about knowing the One who is leading you.

In Jeremiah 29:11, God tells His People, who were feeling lost at the time, "I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you."  And later He says this: "I will put my law deep within them...I will write my instructions on their hearts." (Jer. 31:33)

There are right choices, and there are wrong choices. There are good choices and there are better choices. There are thoughtless choices and informed ones. And there is a God who will lead you. He promises that. He loves you. And you can trust Him.




Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths.

Psalm 25:4




Photos by Fran Priestley and bj mcmichael. Freeimages.com
Jeremiah 31:33; paraphrase mine

1 comment:

  1. I love the example you shared of Saul and the people wanting an earthly King, because lately I've really been seeking the Lord on what he wants me to do once I graduate. I am somewhat lost in that area of my life. High School is flying by, I'm in my Junior year already and I just want to know what career or path God wants me to take after. The example of Saul, really helps me see that when we take things into our own hands, we can eventually end up with a messy result. I think of Sarah and how she wanted a baby so bad she had her servant girl sleep with her husband and the baby ended up being a result of what happens when you don't wait on God's timing. I just really want to hear from the Lord, because I feel pretty confused in that area, but I am learning to trust him with the things I don't yet see! :)
    Emma From Florida

    ReplyDelete